Sometimes you need a little gourmet grease. A big juicy burger and some french fries is what summer holidays call for. For an all-American menu with a little flare, try these recipes.
But first, let me get a cocktail…
Tall Whiskey Lemonade
- 4 ounces Crown Royal
- 4 ounces lemon juice
- 2 tbsp raw sugar
Fill large shaker with ice, combine ingredients, shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Pour over two whiskey ice cubes, garnish with sliced lemon and a lemon twist.
All American Fare
Bacon, Egg & Bleu Cheese Burger
Yields 2 Massive Burgers (grab a hungry friend)
Yes, it was as good as it looks, actually better.
- 2 lbs 80% lean grass fed ground beef, mixed with 1 tbsp mayo (notice we didn’t say this was healthy), and formed into two round patties about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
- 2 large eggs, fried sunny side up
- 2 Brioche buns, buttered
- 4 strips of thick-cut bacon, pre-made to your desired crispiness
- smoked bleu cheese, melted
- 2 leaves of leafy green lettuce
- 2 slices of a beef tomato
First, make your beef patties and turn on grill to medium-high heat. Toast your Brioche bun in a sauté pan over medium low heat until desired browning is achieved. Place patties on grill and cook to desired temp. If you prefer your burgers medium, like us, cook on one side for three minutes, then flip and cook on other side for an additional four minutes. Remove from grill and place several slices of bleu cheese on top of the patty and cover with a pan lid so the cheese melts. In the meantime, fry your eggs. Now the fun part — place it all together. From bottom up – bun, lettuce, tomato, bacon, burger, egg, bun. Dig in.
Mediterranean Turkey Burger
Yields Another 2 Massive Burgers
For those of you who like your burger a bit healthier (just a bit)…
- 2 lbs 90% lean ground turkey formed into two round patties about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
- 2 Brioche buns, buttered
- Lemon Dill Sauce — mix together and chill ahead:
- 2 heaping tbsp fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Red Pepper hummus from our friends at Zoe’s Kitchen (somethings are just better by someone else!)
- Olive Tapenade — chop olives & garlic, add oil, mix and chill ahead.
- 1 cup mixed olives marinated (no pits) – we make it easy and buy from Olive Bar at Wegmans!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 large English cucumber, sliced thin on a bias
First, make your turkey patties and turn on grill to medium-high heat. Toast your Brioche bun in a sauté pan over medium low heat until desired browning is achieved. Place patties on grill and cook to desired temp. If you prefer your burgers medium, like us, cook on one side for four minutes, then flip and cook on other side for an additional five minutes. Remove from grill. Smear hummus on bottom bun, then fan out the slices cucumbers, layer arugula, place burger, then drizzle lemon dill sauce, top with olive tapenade and serve!
Hand Cut Fries with Smoked Paprika Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Yields 4 Servings
- 6-8 medium white potatoes, peeled and sliced into long pieces, soaked in a large bowl in water for 40 minutes.
- 3 quarts oil (dependent on your fryer size and instructions)
- Smoked Paprika Honey Mustard – mix ahead and chill.
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 heaping tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Whip out your deep fryer. We used our Toastmaster and it worked like a charm. It is best to read your fryer manual and go with the suggested times and oil amounts for fries. If you’re new to deep frying, take it from us – they are best when fried twice… Remove your potatoes from the water, pat dry with paper towel. Turn on the deep fryer, and set to instructed temp for fries. When up to temp (we went to 275 degrees F), add potatoes to oil. Flip the potatoes every so often for 4-5 minutes (again, follow your dry fryer directions). Then remove onto a paper towel. Now turn up the heat on your fryer (we went to 375 degrees F), and add the potatoes back in and fry for another 5-7 minutes, flipping occasionally. Remove from oil back onto a paper towel. Blot and sprinkle with salt. Serve with Smoked Paprika Honey Mustard!